CENTER ON BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE
INGESTED INTOLERANCES and TOXINS
Ingested Intolerances and Toxins-Physical: Research Article
Amal H Assa'ad (2006).
Gastrointestinal Food Allergy and Intolerance. Pediatric
Annals, 35(10), 718-726.
ABSTRACT: Of those who react immediately, the majority have demonstrable immunoglobulin E (IgE) to the food fixed to the skin mast cell, giving a positive skin prick test, or circulating in the blood stream, giving a positive radioallergosorbent test (RAST). A systematic evaluation using an accurate and detailed history, tests to identify the offending food(s), and procedures that may identify underlying pathologic disorders of the GI tract would lead to an accurate diagnosis and better targeted therapeutic interventions.
1. Rowe AH. Individual food and drug allergies and their control. In: Rowe AH, ed. Clinical Allergy, manifestations, diagnosis and treatment. Philadelphia:Lea & Febiger, 1931.
2. Anderson LB Jr, Dreyfuss EM,
Logan J, Johnstone DE, Glaser J. Melon and banana sensitivity
coincident with ragweed pollinosis. J Allergy. 1970;45(5):
3. Eriksson NE. Food sensitivity reported by patients with asthma and hay fever. A relationship between food sensitivity and birch pollen-allergy and between food sensitivity and acetylsalicylic acid intolerance. Allergy. 1978;33 (4):189-196.
4. Amlot PL, Kemeny DM, Zachary
C, Parkes P, Lessof MH. Oral allergy syndrome
5. Asero R. Effects of birch pollen-specific immunotherapy on apple allergy in birch pollen- hypersensitive patients. Clin Exp Allergy. 1998;28(11):1368-1373.
6. Kelso JM, Jones RT, Tellez R,
Yunginger JW. Oral allergy syndrome successfully treated with pollen
immunotherapy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol.
7. Garcia-Ara C, Boyano-Martinez T, Diaz-Pena JM, et al. Specific IgE levels in the diagnosis of immediate hypersensitivity to cows' milk protein in the infant. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001;107(1):185-190.
8. Klemola T, Vanto T, Juntunen-Backman K, et al. Allergy to soy formula and to extensively hydrolyzed whey formula in infants with cow's milk allergy: a prospective, randomized study with a follow-up to the age of 2 years. J Pediatr. 2002;140(2):219-224.
9. Host A, Halken S, Jacobsen HP,
et al. Clinical course of cow's milk protein allergy/intolerance and
atopic diseases in childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol.
10. Sicherer SH, Eigenmann PA, Sampson HA. Clinical features of food protein- induced enterocolitis syndrome. J Pediatr. 1998;133(2):214-219.
11. Heine RG, Elsayed S, Hosking
CS, Hill DJ. Cow's milk allergy in infancy.
12. Berger-Achituv S, Shohat T,
Romano-Zelekha O, et al. Widespread use of soy- based formula without
clinical indications. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr.
13. Jakobsson I, Lindberg T. Cow's milk as a cause of infantile colic in breast-fed infants. Lancet. 1978;2(8087):437-439.
14. Hill DJ, Hudson IL, Sheffield LJ. A low allergen diet is a significant intervention in infantile colic: results of a community-based study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995;96(6 Pt 1):886-892.
15. Savino F, Castagno E, Bretto
R, et al. A prospective 10-year study on children who had severe
infantile colic. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 2005; 94(449):
16. Castro-Rodriguez JA, Stern
DA, Halonen M, et al. Relation between infantile colic and asthma/
atopy: a prospective study in an unselected population.
17. Halken S, Host A, Hansen LG,
Osterballe O. Effect of an allergy prevention programme on incidence of
atopic symptoms in infancy. A prospective study of
18. Arslan G, Lillestol K, Mulahasanovic A, Florvaag E, Berstad A. Food hypersensitivity reactions visualised by ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging in a patient lacking systemic food-specific IgE. Digestion. 2006;73(2- 3):111-115.
19. Rokaite R, Labanauskas L. Gastrointestinal disorders in children with atopic dermatitis. Medicina (Kaunas). 2005;41(10):837-845.
20. Lake AM. Food-induced eosinophilic proctocolitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2000; 30(Suppl):S58-S60.
21. Restani P, Gaiaschi A, Plebani A, et al. Evaluation of the presence of bovine proteins in human milk as a possible cause of allergic symptoms in breast-fed children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2000;84(3):353-360.
22. Vadas P, Wai Y, Burks W, Perelman B. Detection of peanut allergens in breast milk of lactating women. JAMA. 2001;285(13):1746-1748.
23. Vance GH, Lewis SA, Grimshaw KE, et al. Exposure of the fetus and infant to hens' egg ovalbumin via the placenta and breast milk in relation to maternal intake of dietary egg. Clin Exp Allergy. 2005;35(10):1318-1326.
24. Hirose J, Ito S, Hirata N, et al. Occurrence of the major food allergen, ovomucoid, in human breast milk as an immune complex. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65(6):1438-1440.
25. Ahmed T, Sumazaki R, Shin K,, et al. Humoral immune and clinical responses to food antigens following acute diarrhoea in children. J Paediatr Child Health. 1998; 34(3):229-232.
26. Sherman PM, Mitchell DJ, Cutz E. Neonatal enteropathies: defining the causes of protracted diarrhea of infancy. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2004;38 (1):16-26.
27. Bahna SL. Cow's milk allergy versus cow milk intolerance. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2002;89(6 Suppl 1):56-60.
28. Orenstein SR, Shalaby TM, Di Lorenzo C, et al. The spectrum of pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis beyond infancy: a clinical series of 30 children. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95(6):1422-1430.
29. Markowitz JE, Spergel JM, Ruchelli E, et al. Elemental diet is an effective treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis in children and adolescents. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98(4):777-782.
30. Spergel JM, Andrews T, Brown-Whitehorn TF, et al. Treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis with specific food elimination diet directed by a combination of skin prick and patch tests. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005;95(4):336-343.
31. Spergel JM, Beausoleil JL, Mascarenhas M, Liacouras CA. The use of skin prick tests and patch tests to identify causative foods in eosinophilic esophagitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109(2):363-368.
32. Liacouras CA, Spergel JM,
Ruchelli E, Verma R,, et al. Eosinophilic
33. Assa'ad A. Detection of causative foods by skin prick and atopy patch tests in patients with eosinophilic esophagitis: things are not what they seem. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005;95(4):309-311.
34. Noel RJ, Putnam PE, Collins MH, et al. Clinical and immunopathologic effects of swallowed fluticasone for eosinophilic esophagitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2(7):568-575.
35. Garrett JK, Jameson SC,
Thomson B, et al. Anti-interleukin-5 (mepolizumab) therapy for
hypereosinophilic syndromes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;113(1):
36. Blanchard C, Wang N, Stringer
KF, et al. Eotaxin-3 and a uniquely conserved gene-expression profile
in eosinophilic esophagitis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116 (2):536-547.