CENTER ON BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE
Disease: Research Article
Joffe, R.T. and Marriott, M. (2000). Thyroid Hormone Levels and
of Major Depression. Am J Psychiatry 2000, 157:1689-1691
Objective: The relationship between basal thyroid hormone levels and acute antidepressant response has been studied, but any relationship between basal thyroid hormone levels and long-term course of depressive illness has not been evaluated.
Method: The authors used a Cox regression survival analysis to evaluate the relationship between life course of depressive illness and basal levels of thyroid hormones (triiodothyronine [T3], thyroxine [T4,], and thyrotropin) in 75 outpatients with unipolar major depressive disorder.
Results: Time to recurrence of
was inversely related to T3 levels but not to T4 levels.
1 . Keller MB, Klerman GL, Lavori PW, Coryell W, Endicott], Taylor J: Long-term outcome of episodes of major depression: clinical and public health significance. JAMA 1984; 252:788-792
2. Keller MB, Boland RJ: Implications of failing to achieve successful long-term maintenance treatment of recurrent unipolar major depression. Biol Psychiatry 1998; 44:348-360
3. Maj M, Veltro F, Pirozzi R, Lobrace S, Magliano L: Pattern of recurrence of illness after recovery from an episode of major depression: a prospective study. Am J Psychiatry 1992; 149:795-800
4. Arana GW, Baldessarini RJ, Ornsteen M: The dexamethasone suppression test for diagnosis and prognosis in psychiatry. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1985; 42:1193-1204
5. Kupfer DJ, Frank E, McEachran AB, Grochocinski VJ: Delta sleep ratio: a biological correlate of early recurrence in unipolar affective disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1990; 47:1100-1105
6. Whybrow PC, Coppen A, Prange AJ Jr: A hypothesis of thyroidcatecholamine-receptor interaction. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1981; 38:106-113
7. Joffe RT, Levitt AJ: The thyroid and depression, in The Thyroid Axis and Psychiatric Illness. Edited by Joffe RT, Levitt AJ. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Press, 1993, pp 195-253
8. Cowdry RW, Wehr TA, Zis AB, Goodwin FK: Thyroid abnormalities associated with rapid-cycling bipolar illness. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1983; 40:414-420
9. Spitzer RL, Endicott J: Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia-Lifetime Version, 3rd ed. New York, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Biometrics Research, 1979
10. Spitzer RL, Endicott J,
Robins E: Research
Diagnostic Criteria: ra-
11. Hamilton M: A rating scale
J Neurol Neurosurg